Health Services Mission Statement
The nursing department of the Rockland Public Schools considers the health, wellness, and safety of our students and staff to be our highest priority. School Nurses are essential members of the educational team. Our mission is to foster the growth, development, and educational achievement of all students by promoting health and wellness in a safe and supportive environment. The nursing staff believes that all students possess the ability to learn and reach their optimal potential. We are committed to meeting the health needs of individual students and through collaboration with public and private agencies and health care providers. As school nurses we advocate for students, their families, and the school community.
Philosophy of School Health
The National Association of School Nurses defines school nursing as: “A specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well-being, academic success, and lifelong achievement of students. To that end, school nurses facilitate positive student responses to normal development; promote health and safety; intervene with actual and potential health problems; provide case management services; and actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self management, self advocacy, and learning.”
Rockland Public School Nurses endorse the following beliefs developed by the American School Health Association and The National Association of School Nurses:
- Every child is entitled to educational opportunities that will allow him/her to reach full capacity as an individual and prepare him/her for responsibilities as a citizen.
- Every child is entitled to a level of health which permits maximum utilization of educational opportunities.
- The school health program, through the components of health service, health education and concerns for the environment, provides knowledge and understanding on which to base decisions for the promotion and protection of individuals, family and community health.
- Parents have the basic responsibility for the health of their children; the school health program activities exist to assist parents in carrying out their responsibilities.
Goals of Rockland Public Schools Nurses
- Reduce health-related barriers to learning and health related absenteeism thus improving student achievement.
- Promote the health, safety, and wellness of all students and staff in the Rockland Public Schools.
- Promote a positive, collaborative relationship with students, families, colleagues, and the community.
- Promote best practices in school health services through professional development and resources.