What Is The Flu?
The flu is caused by a virus that affects your lungs, nose, and throat and makes you sick. Symptoms include fever, weakness, muscle aches, cough, headache, sore throat and nasal congestion.
How Is The Flu Spread?
The flu spreads easily from person to person. When people with the flu cough or sneeze, the flu virus is in the wet spray that comes out of their nose and mouth. The flu virus also gets on objects people touch like; doorknobs, phones and toys. After touching these objects, the virus can infect a person when they touch their mouths, nose or eyes.
How To Prevent The Flu?
- Get a flu shot every year to prevent the flu.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue, cough into your inner elbow.
- Keep your hands away from eyes, nose and mouth.
- Use household cleaner to clean things that are touched often like: door and refrigerator handles, computer keyboards/mouse, phones and toys.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water, or use alcohol based hand gel.
- If you or your child is sick, stay home.
For more information, please visit and review the following pamphlets and websites: