ROCKLAND HIGH SCHOOL
RHS COMMUNITY WEEKLY UPDATE #39
June 7, 2019
This is our last community weekly update of the 2018-2019 school year. Thank you to our students, staff, and parents for an excellent school year. It has been a pleasure to work with your children. We want to wish all of our students a safe and enjoyable summer and we look forward to seeing you in August for the start of the 2019-2020 school year. Best of luck to our seniors in the Class of 2019 who will be starting with their postsecondary plan.
Here are a few highlights from this past week:
- Several RHS students participated in the Memorial Day Observance organized by the Rockland Allied Veterans Council on Monday, May 27th. Thank you to Mathew Bruzzese, Hailey Estabrooks, Jordan Cunningham, and Kerin Dalton and the RHS Band for participating in the Memorial Day Parade.
- On Thursday, May 30th, RHS held the Senior Academic and Athletic Banquet in the RHS Auditorium. Congratulations to all of the recipients of awards and scholarships. Here is an article published by The Veritas will all of our seniors who were recognized.
- On Friday, May 31st, RHS celebrated the terrific Class of 2019 with their graduation at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Here is an article published in The Veritas highlighting graduation. Thank you to WRPS for posting this video of the commencement ceremony.
- On Monday, June 3rd, the Astronomy Club spent the evening in the courtyard, looking at Polaris, the North Star! Here is a picture.
- On Wednesday, June 5th, RHS held the Academic Hall of Fame and Underclassmen Award Ceremony. If you would like to view the Academic Hall of Fame portion of the evening, please click here. Here is a picture and article of our inductees published in The Veritas.
- Softball, girls and boys tennis, and girls and boys lacrosse began tournament play this week.
- The boys tennis team made the tournament for the first time since 1983. Here is an article published in the local newspaper. The boys tennis team defeated Bishop Connolly in the opening round, 4-1. The dogs take on Dover-Sherborn Friday afternoon. Tyler Beatrice, John Ellard, Matt Griffin and Brandon Gallagher were all named South Shore League All-Stars. The boys tennis team also received the sportsmanship award.
- The lady dog softball team defeated Rising Tide Charter School 10-0 on Thursday. The lady dogs will take on Bristol County Agricultural School on Saturday morning in Dighton. Congratulations to our South Shore League All- Stars- Michaela Bruno, Molly Grass and Arianna Pelletier.
- The girls lacrosse team defeated Abington HS 12-2 in the opening round of the tournament. The lady dogs will visit Cohasset in the second round on Friday. This was the first tournament victory in the girls lacrosse program’s history. Congratulations to Maddie Blonde, Nicole Blonde, Jenna Burns, and Hannah Rich for being named South Shore League All-Stars.
- The boys lacrosse team defeated Monomy 12-5 on Tuesday afternoon. The dogs visit Norwell Friday afternoon. Congratulations to South Shore League All-Stars- Evan Gormely, CJ Armstrong, Mike Dutton, and Mark Sprague.
- The girls tennis team defeated St. John Paul II, 5-0 , in the opening round of the tournament. The lady dogs lost to Sturgis West in the second round. Congratulations to Bridget Hughes and Stephanie Beatrice for being named South Shore League All-Stars! Bridget Hughes was also named the South Shore League Player of the Year!
- Congratulations to Cullen Rogers and Aaron Steeves for being named South Shore League baseball All-Stars!
- The spring sports banquet night will be Tuesday, June 11th in the cafeteria at 6pm. The Athletic Boosters will supply pizza and drinks for the teams. Parents should arrive at 6:30 for team awards.
Here are a few reminders as we look ahead to next week:
- Final Exams for students in Grade 9, 10, and 11 started on Thursday, June 6th. Here is a press release with additional information.
- Term 4, final exam, and final grades will be posted on X2 Aspen by Wednesday, June 12th in the afternoon. Please click here to learn more about our summer school course offerings.
- Please click here to learn more about our summer reading program.
- The district calendar for the 2019-2020 academic school year is available by clicking here. One change to the RHS calendar for next year is we will no longer be hosting a spring parent- teacher conference day and evening. We have replaced this evening responsibility with staff for a Grade 8 Open House and Welcome Night so that students and families at Rogers Middle School can meet our dedicated staff to get a full picture of the Rockland High School experience. We will still have the fall parent- teacher conference day and evening. As always, parents may always meet with teachers at any point during the school year.
Have a great summer!
John Harrison, Ed.D.
Rockland High School Principal