ROCKLAND HIGH SCHOOL
RHS COMMUNITY WEEKLY UPDATE #36
May 17, 2019
Here are a few highlights from this past week:
- Congratulations to Kevin Jean-Poix and Molly Grass for being this week’s Top Dogs! Here are their biographies.
- Congratulations to the new inductees to the National Honor Society: Seniors– Alexis Nastasia and Giovan Soares; Juniors– Melyssa Almeida, Stephanie Beatrice, Jad Bendarkawi, Mathew Bruzzese, Kathryn Buckley, Maria Ciano, Jessica DeMarco, Jillian Dorney, Caroline Elie, Tyler Gambon, Madeline Gear, Nicolle Gudiel Winter, Tyler Johnson, Sabrina Morgan, Alyssa Patten, Oliver Reera, Zachary Webb, Hannah Wyllie, Julia Yeadon, and Danting Zhu. Here is an article published in The Veritas. Thank you and congratulations to our senior members who received their certificates during the ceremony. Thank you to advisor Ms. Black for coordinating this special event.
- Earlier in the year, Ms. McDonough’s Fantasy & Science Fiction students wrote a book of short stories taking place in an alternate universe. Two of these students had their short works published by YoungWriterUSA.com. More than 13,500 students entered the publication contest, and freshmen Ava LaBollita and Julia Lynch were each selected for publication. Their works were published in Stranger Sagas: Legends from Massachusetts. Young Writers is a small, family run business that promotes reading, writing, and enjoyment of poetry and writing of all kinds in young people. Congratulations to both Ava and Julia for a job well done!
- Congratulations to Maddie Gear who received the school’s first Global Ambassador Distinction this Tuesday. Maddie delivered an outstanding presentation to the school community on Japanese food and culture. Here is her picture presenting. Maddie will be recognized at the Underclassmen Award Ceremony in June.
- Our spring sports teams are getting close to concluding regular season play. The teams continue to battle hard each week. Here are some highlights:
- The girls softball team lost 12-0 to Abington on Monday. The lady dogs rebounded Wednesday with a victory over Holbrook 14-2 on Wednesday.
- The girls tennis team won a doubleheader over Abington on Monday, 4-1, in both matches. The lady dogs followed up with another strong win over East Bridgewater on Wednesday, 4-1.
- The lady dogs lacrosse team defeated Hull 16-5 to qualify for the tournament. Congratulations to Madison Blonde who scored her 200th goal against Middleboro on Wednesday. The lady dogs celebrated their senior night at home at Veterans Stadium with a victory over Abington, 12-7.
- The boys lacrosse team rolled to a victory over Middleboro on Wednesday. Evan Gormley scored his 150th career goal and 50th goal of the season in a victory Thursday over Abington. The senior boys celebrated senior night prior to the start of the game.
- The baseball team fell 7-6 to Abington on Monday and Cardinal Spellman on Wednesday.
- Congratulations to the girls and boys track teams which competed hard in the South Shore League Meet Thursday afternoon.
- Please take a moment to review the 2019-2020 RHS Proposed Student Handbook Changes. Please see Mr. Harrison with any questions or feedback.
Here are a few reminders as we look ahead to next week:
- Here is a list of important dates for seniors as we head to the final weeks before graduation.
- This is a reminder that MCAS testing for Grade 10 continues Tuesday, May 21st and concludes Wednesday, May 22nd. Sophomores will take the Math MCAS and need to arrive at 8AM. All other grades should arrive for a 10:38AM start. Here is the special schedule.
- Here is a look at the week ahead.
Have a nice weekend!
John Harrison, Ed.D.
Rockland High School Principal