ROCKLAND HIGH SCHOOL
RHS COMMUNITY WEEKLY UPDATE #34
May 3, 2019
Here are a few highlights from this past week:
- Congratulations to Ashley Murphy and Alexis Nastasia for being this week’s Top Dogs! Their biographies are located here.
- I hope everyone had a chance to check out the amazing Arts Festival this week. Here are some great pictures highlighting the event.
- The artwork that was showcased was phenomenal. The talent displayed including photography and digital imaging, drawings, and paintings, and much more. Thank you to Mrs. Thompson and Ms. Medeiros for their hard work working with our talented students.
- The Rubik’s Cubers completed an impressive mosaic of the Mona Lisa. Here is a picture of the beginnings of the creation of the Mona Lisa. Thank you to Ms. Armstrong and the Rubik’s cubers for showcasing their talents.
- The Robotics Club under the advising of Mr. Bigsby were present and showcased their robots. Check out Joe Messier’s robot here!
- IMAGES showcased their new magazine (which is available still for purchase $10). Take a look at the cover designed by senior Emmy Kelley. The kids were selling magazines and displaying their work this year at a table inside the gym. Thank you to Mr. Neal and Mr. Bigsby for leading this group again this year.
- Ms. Donovan and students in the Family and Consumer Science Program made crepes for guests as well as showcased some of their fashion creations this year, including purses.
- Mr. Neal and Mr. Bigsby led the Blue Dog Cafe for our students. Thank you to Mike’s Pizza (always generous to RHS!) for donating pizza. Here is a picture of the set-up for the event. Students came forward to read poems and sing songs in front of a family-friendly audience.
- Ms. Armstrong and Computer Science students showcased games designed with the programming language including Scratch, C, and Python.
- Our music students under the direction of Mr. Piazza and Ms. McComb performed in the library and did a wonderful job.
- The newly formed Dance Team under the advising of Ms. Tabares made their opening day performance on Main Street. Well-done team!
- This week RHS posted information on 2019 Summer Reading on our website. Please click here to review the summer reading selections and competition.
- Congratulations to the Environmental Club who will be recognized at the State House on Monday, May 6th for receiving the 2019 Secretary’s Award for Excellence in Environmental Education. Here is a press release published this week. NECN and NBC 10 Boston plan to cover the story on their Sunday morning show this Sunday, May 5th from 5:30-8AM.
- Congratulations to The Veritas for receiving the Superior Achievement Award for our school newspaper and website. Well-done :)!
- This week students in Culinary class welcomed Johnson and Whales Chef Dennis who taught our students how to make a delicious Mango Black Bean Salsa. Here is a picture of the chef working with our students.
- Our spring sports team continued to enjoy success on the athletic fields despite a cold and rainy start to the spring.
- The boys lacrosse team took time this week to assist in the Rockland town-wide clean-up day on April 27th. Here is a picture of the bulldogs. The boys lacrosse team had an impressive overtime win over Whitman-Hanson, 10-9. Here is a picture of the dogs in action.
- Congratulations to Evan Gormley who will be continuing his education at Mass Maritime Academy and playing lacrosse.
- The girls tennis team defeated Hanover, 5-0, and Mashpee, 5-0, this week. Take a lot here at the girls tennis team celebrating their victory over Mashpee with some pizza! The girls tennis team is now 7-1 overall and 5-1 in the South Shore League.
- The girls softball team defeated Hull (5-2) , Notre Dame Academy (12-0), and Mashpee (9-2) this week. Here is a picture of the team during the end of the game handshake. The girls softball team is 7-2 overall and 4-1 in the South Shore League.
- The boys tennis team defeated Mashpee this week.
- The boys baseball team fell to Mashpee.
- The girls lacrosse team lost to Norwell 14-3 this week. Congratulations to freshman Erin Flaherty who was the game MVP, scoring a goal in the lost.
- The boys and girls track teams lost to Norwell this week. However, check out these runners who gave it their best! The girls and boys track teams rebounded to defeat Mashpee on Wednesday afternoon.
- Congratulations to Owen Shea who was recognized as an Enterprise All-Scholastic this winter.
- Congratulations to Hannah Wyllie, Maryn Monet, Carolyn Elie, and Julie Elie who were named Enterprise All-Scholastics.
- Congratulations to Nick Blonde and Evan Gormley who were named Enterprise All-Scholastics.
Here are a few reminders as we look ahead to next week:
- Next week is teacher appreciation week. Please take a moment to let your teachers know how much you appreciate them!
- The drama banquet this year will be held on Thursday, May 16th at 6PM in the cafeteria. Anyone who participated in this year’s play or musical is welcome to attend. Please fill out an RSVP form handed out by either Ms. White, Ms. DiCanzio, or Ms. McComb no later than May 13th.
- Good luck to all of the RHS students taking the SAT test on May 4th at RHS. Saturday School for May 4th has been rescheduled to May 11th.
- Any junior interested in taking a bus to tour and attend an information session at Bridgewater State University on May 21st should complete a permission slip in Guidance by May 9th.
- Good luck to the 134 Rockland HS students who will take 266 AP Exams collectively over the next two weeks. Thank you to Ms. Black for her assistance coordinating these high stakes exams.
- This is a reminder that Grade 10 MCAS Math testing will begin on Tuesday, May 21st and conclude Wednesday, May 22nd. Please click here for the schedule.
- Term 4 Progress Reports for seniors are available this afternoon on May 3rd. Students in Grades 9, 10, and 11 will have their Term 4 Progress Reports available on Wednesday, May 8th after school.
- This is a reminder that there will be an early release for staff professional development on Thursday, May 9th at 12:30PM.
- Here is a look at the week ahead.
Have a nice weekend!
John Harrison, Ed.D.
Rockland High School Principal