ROCKLAND HIGH SCHOOL
RHS COMMUNITY WEEKLY UPDATE #32
April 12, 2019
Here are a few highlights from this past week:
- Congratulations to Francisco Oliveira for being this week’s Top Dog! Here is his biography.
- Congratulations to the entire cast, crew, musicians, and all who were involved in the outstanding production of the school musical, Annie. Here is a story covering the performance.
- The Environmental Club enjoyed a busy week. Over the weekend, the club learned that they received the Massachusetts award for Excellence in Energy and Environmental Education. Our students will be recognized at the State House in May. Students in the Environmental Club spent Saturday, April 6th preparing for Envirothon in Holden, Massachusetts. Here are a few pictures of our students preparing for the annual competition. The club also produced their second podcast. Check out the Green Tea’s podcast by clicking here to learn about Food Waste.
- Family and Consumer science students enjoyed veggie week in Exploratory Foods and Culinary! Take a look at what the kids were working on by clicking here.
- Congratulations to seniors Kaya Kelly and Alexa Coulstring who were the first two seniors to participate in the Global Citizenship Program. Here is a picture of Kaya presenting and here is a picture of Alexa presenting on their topics!
- Congratulations to RHS faculty member Ms. Sam Hoyo who has been selected to speak at the NEERO Conference (New England Educational Research Organization) on April 24, 2019 in Portsmouth, NH. The topic Ms. Hoyo will present on is called “Do Not Ignore My Voice! A Call to Action by Gender Expansive Youth.” We wish her luck and thank her for representing Rockland so well!
- The RHS community wishes safe travels to our 3 staff chaperones (Ms. Walsh, Ms. Hoyo, and Ms. DiCanzio) and our 34 students who will be traveling abroad to Austria,Czech Republic, Germany, and Switzerland. Here is a preview of their trip.
- Spring Sports are off to a great start! Thank you to our coaches for the information below!
- The girls lacrosse team lost to Archbishop Williams 12-10 on Friday, April 5th. Maddie Blonde scored 7 goals in the loss! The girls lacrosse team followed with a big win over Quincy, 19-16, and with a victory over Hull 15-9. Chloe Jones was the player of the game against Hull!
- The boys lacrosse team defeated Archbishop Williams on Friday, April 5th. The boys lacrosse team lost Tuesday, April 9th 9-8 in overtime to Hull.
- The girls tennis team defeated Mashpee 5-0 on Friday, April 5th. The lady dogs defeated East Bridgewater on Thursday, April 11th to remain undefeated on the young season. Here is a group photograph!
- The boys tennis team defeated Mashpee on Friday, April 5th.
- The girls softball team lost to Plymouth North, 11-4, on Friday, April 5th. The lady dogs defeated Hingham High School 11-2 on Tuesday, April 9th. Molly Grass led off the game with a three-run home run!!
- The boys baseball team lost to Cohasset 8-2 on Tuesday, April 9th. Aaron Steeves had 2 hits in the loss.
- The boys track team defeated Abington but lost to Cohasset on Wednesday, April 10th. The girls track team lost to Abington and Cohasset-Hull. Outstanding performances for Rockland included Sarah Pollard (Long and Triple Jumps); Lydia McWilliams (Javelin); Kerin Dalton (Discus); and Megan Hoblitzelle (Shot Put).
Here are a few reminders as we look ahead to next week:
- Are you ready for this year’s Dog Dash to benefit the RHS Hockey program? Click here for information!
- The Arts Festival will be held Wednesday, May 1st and Thursday, May 2nd from 6-8:30PM. Here is the flyer with additional information.
- Be sure to check out the annual Spellman Oratorical on Wednesday, April 24th in the RHS Lecture Hall at 7PM.
- Here is a look at the week ahead.
Have an awesome vacation!
John Harrison, Ed.D.
Rockland High School Principal