ROCKLAND HIGH SCHOOL
RHS COMMUNITY WEEKLY UPDATE #31
April 5, 2019
Here are a few highlights from this past week:
- Congratulations to Angelina Vuong for being this week’s Top Dog! Here is her biography.
- Students in the Pathways Program, Spanish 4 Honors and Spanish 5 Honors began working on a collaborative project. On Tuesday 4/2, the students focused on learning greetings through song, role play, and total physical response. To reinforce the content, senior students paired up with Pathways’ students for small group picture walking and a variety of written formative assessments. Check out pictures here.
- Congratulations to Social Science & History teacher Ms. Amanda Lanigan who has been granted a leave of absence during the 2019-2020 school year to pursue a masters degree as a Rotary Peace Fellow at Uppsala University in Sweden. To learn more about her program, click here and here! Well-deserved, Ms. Lanigan :)!
- The Environmental Club has been busy getting ready for the statewide competition Envirothon. Envirothon is the leading natural resource education in Massachusetts for high school students. The topic this year that students will explore is “Food and Insecurities.” 10 RHS students will participate in field research, develop recommendations, and present their findings to a panel of judges at the annual Envirothon competition in May. The competition will take place on Friday, May 17th at Sholan Farms in Leominster, Massachusetts.
- Congratulations to the students who have been selected as finalists in the 2019 Spellman Oratorical Contest on Wednesday, April 24th at 7PM in the RHS Lecture Hall: Elizabeth Kelley,Jacob Nunn, Francesco Oliveira, Justin Sherlock, Katie Houde, Caitlin Cameron, Marissa Smith, Tyler Beatrice. The following students have been selected as alternates: Abigail Condon & Leah Drago.
- On Friday, April 5th, the administration and senior class advisor Ms. Hoyo held a class meeting during the second period. Here is the presentation that was shared with students. Here is a link to the “Road to Graduation Calendar” with all of the important dates for our seniors! What an exciting time of year :)!
- Are you ready for the Spring musical, Annie, this weekend? Students will perform Friday, April 5th at 7PM and Saturday, April 6th at 1PM. Both shows will be held in the RHS Auditorium. Here is a preview of the show and here are some pictures from the cast and crew from their dress rehearsal.
- Great job to our 3D Art students- Brianna Reardon, Nicole Skinner, Danting Zhu, Callie Gillan, and Rose Ripley on their recycled fashion designs! Just in time for prom season!
- We encourage all students and families to review this information entitled “What You Need to Know and How to Talk to Your Kids About Vaping.” By reading the article, you can learn about what vaping is, whether it is safe, and what parents should know.
- Congratulations to Greta Russo who will be a SEMASC (Southeastern Massachusetts Association of Student Councils) representative next year. Jacob Leahy will be the SEMASC President. Here is an article that details the role of SEMASC leaders.
- Our spring sports teams are off to a great start! The Veritas published this spring sports preview article.
- Congratulations to our softball team on their opening day victory, 9-4, over Whitman- Hanson! Shannon Murphy had a 3-run home run!
- Congratulations to our varsity girls lacrosse team for their opening day win 17-10 over Abington HS. Thank you to our JV girls for supporting the varsity team! Maddie Blonde had 6 goals and 1 assist in the win.
- Congratulations to the boys lacrosse team for defeating Abington 16-4 this week.
- The baseball team fell 3-1 to Pembroke. Declan Rogers and Robert Ivill pitched well in the lost. Ricky Glavin had an RBI single and Cullen Rogers hit a double and scored a run.
- Congratulations to the boys tennis team on their win this week over Randolph. Here is their group photo after the win. Congratulations to Coach Beatrice on his first win as head coach!
- The girls tennis team celebrated their opening day win over Randolph with ice cream on Thursday! Here is a group picture of the kids!
- Congratulations to C.J. Armstrong, as he will continue his education and play lacrosse at Salem State University next fall! Here is C.J.
- Congratulations to Nicole Blonde and Madison Blonde as they will continue their athletic careers in college. Nicole will attend LaSalle College and Madison will attend University of New Haven next year. Here is a twin photo!
- Good luck to Senior Meaghan McDonough as she continues her academic and athletic career (playing soccer) at Brandeis University. Here is her photo!
Here are a few reminders as we look ahead to next week:
- Term 3 report cards will be issued on Monday, April 8th after school on X2 Aspen.
- Parent Teacher Conferences will be Wednesday, April 10th from 1-2:30PM and 6:30-8PM. Please be sure to stop by RHS during these time windows to see your child’s teacher. Students will have an early release from school at 12:30PM. Parents need to enter in the afternoon through the RHS Main Office entrance.
- This is a reminder that Thursday, April 11th is an early release for students at 12:30PM for teacher professional development.
- Starting April 5th, the junior class will be selling raffle tickets for 2 Red Sox tickets. Tickets are $2 each and $5 for 3. Here is a flyer.
- If any students who are attending the prom on May 24th would like a professional photograph, please click here to learn more.
- Here is a look at the week ahead.
Have a nice weekend!
John Harrison, Ed.D.
Rockland High School Principal