ROCKLAND HIGH SCHOOL
RHS COMMUNITY WEEKLY UPDATE #28
March 15, 2019
Here are a few highlights from this past week:
- Congratulations to Marissa Smith for being this week’s Top Dog! Here is her biography.
- Congratulations to John Ellard III who has been accepted and recognized as an Academic All American for Swimming through the National Interscholastic Swimming Coaches Association (NISCA). This is a first for Rockland High School!
- Students in Ms. Donovan’s Culinary class were busy this week making Nicoise salad. Kitchen #3 in both C and D Blocks were the recipients of the Golden Spatula Award. Here is a picture of the winning dish!
- 20 RHS Student Government Council members attended the Massachusetts Association of Student Council Winter Conference in Cape Cod last week. Students learned a lot about student leadership, collaborated with each other, and reflected on leadership within the Rockland community. Here is an article published in The Veritas. Thank you to Ms. White and Ms. Delaney for planning the conference trip.
- Congratulations to our cheerleaders for winning their 9th state championship. Isn’t that amazing?! Here is an article in The Veritas providing a recap of the state championship run. Next up for the cheerleaders is the chance to win the New England Regional Championship at Worcester State University on Saturday, March 16th.
- On Wednesday, March 13th, Rockland HS and Abington HS competed in a Unified Basketball game at Rockland High School. Here is an article with some outstanding pictures and an article covering the event. All of the students had a great time! Thank you to Mr. Graziano and Ms. Folsom for organizing the event.
- On Thursday, March 14th, the guidance department, and administration held a Student MCAS Computer-Based Testing Training for Grade 10 students. Sophomores will take the computer-based MCAS for the first time on Tuesday, March 26th and Wednesday, March 27th. Here is the powerpoint that was used for the training session. The MCAS testing schedule which includes a delayed start for students in Grade 9, 11, and 12 is located here.
- IMAGES, the school’s literary magazine, published a spotlight issue on their website. Check out the talented artist, Bryce Taylor, and superb poet, Jacob Nunn, by clicking here.
- The Environmental Club has started a podcast (called The Green Tea)! Listen to the first week’s edition by clicking here and you can learn about what the Environmental Club is doing to keep RHS green! The first edition focused on the new hydration station donated by the Environmental Club.
- How impressive is the word of our 3-D Art students with the completion of their paper light boxes? Here are some samples- bravo!
- On Thursday, March 14th, students in the chorus and band hosted Broadway Night in the auditorium. The students did a great job performing! Here are some video clips and pictures from the fun night!
Here are a few reminders as we look ahead to next week:
- Stop by Player’s Restaurant on Saturday, March 16th from 12-3PM for a Meat Raffle to support the Class of 2019. Click here for the flyer with more information.
- Spring sports begin on Monday, March 18th. Let’s hope for some nice, warm, and sunny weather to start the season. Please check with your coach for practice locations.
- Be sure to come and support the students and staff participating in the annual Nets for Nets 3 v. 3 basketball tournament on Tuesday, March 19th at 6 PM in the HS Gym.
- Any sophomores looking to purchase a class ring, please click here to learn more information.
- Are you ready for RHS’ upcoming hit musical, Annie? Listen to this PSA announcement to learn more about the show!
- Students who are planning to take the College Board SAT test need to register for the May 4th SAT exam (given at RHS) by April 5th. Register at collegeboard.org . Students who are planning to take the ACT test need to register for the June 8th ACT (given at RHS) by May 3rd. Register at actstudent.org . We recommend you take the exam with writing!
- Here is a look at the week ahead.
Tuesday, March 19
6:00PM Nets for Nets Tournament
Wednesday, March 20
6PM Athletic Banquet (parents, please come at 6:30PM)
Thursday, March 21
2:50PM RHS Faculty Meeting
Saturday, March 23
9:00AM-12PM Saturday School
Have a nice weekend!
John Harrison, Ed.D.
Rockland High School Principal