ROCKLAND HIGH SCHOOL
RHS COMMUNITY WEEKLY UPDATE #26
March 1, 2019
Here are a few highlights from this past week:
- 5 Rockland students participated in the Harvard Model Congress over February vacation. Rockland High School students participated in this simulated federal legislative exercise. During the overnight conference in Boston, students engaged in controversial debates on topics which included the role of media in politics, immigration, and health care. Students, acting as delegates, further developed their research, writing, and public speaking skills.
- 15 Rockland students and 3 RHS faculty members spent February vacation in Guatemala on a service learning trip. Students were trained in water filtration assembly and usage and helped train local families on the cleaning and usage of filters. Students furthered their understanding of the water security crisis. The students had a great experience. Here are some great pictures.
- The boy’s basketball, girls basketball, and hockey team each made the postseason. Here is a great article posted in The Veritas this week with an update on each team’s tournament run. The hockey team plays North Quincy Friday, March 1st at 6:30 PM at the Canton Ice House. The girl’s basketball team plays at Norwell at 4 PM on Saturday, March 2nd. A special congratulations to Junior Owen Shea for placing 8th in the Division 3 State Wrestling Tournament. Here is a picture of Owen.
Here are a few reminders as we look ahead to next week:
- Save the date! Are you ready for Annie? The show debuts Friday, April 7th at 7 PM in the RHS Auditorium. To read more, click here.
- Rockland HS has been working hard in preparation for its NEASC accreditation review on March 28th and March 29th. To learn more about the Collaborative Conference hosted at RHS, please click here.
- Prom Tickets will go on sale starting March 25th and ending March 29th. Click here for a flyer with more information.
- Term 3 Progress Reports are now available on X2 Aspen. This is a great opportunity for students to review their grades and meet with their teachers for extra help. This is a reminder that support services including Saturday School and the After School Support Program are available to all students.
- MCAS Testing for Grade 10 students begins Tuesday, March 26th and ends Wednesday, March 27th. Grade 9, 11, and 12 students will have a late start beginning at 11:15 AM. Grade 10 students should arrive early with testing starting at 8 AM. Here is a press release with more information.
- Senior Cap and gowns will be on sale on Friday, March 8th. The cost is $25, cash or check payable to The Town of Rockland. Please see Ms. Hoyo if you have any questions or concerns.
Have a nice weekend!
John Harrison, Ed.D.
Rockland High School Principal