ROCKLAND HIGH SCHOOL
RHS COMMUNITY WEEKLY UPDATE #23
February 1, 2019
Here are a few highlights from this past week:
- Congratulations to Sarah Pollard for being this week’s Top Dog! Here is her biography.
- Our Mock Trials team completed their season this week. The Mock Trial Bulldogs had a very challenging schedule, however, they competed hard and improved during each competition. Here is a well-written article published in The Veritas of the Mock trial team! Thank you to advisors Mr. Grimmett and Mr. Rowe for coaching the team this year. Here is an excellent group photograph of the team in action!
- On Monday, January 28, 2019, RHS held the 14th Annual Poetry Out Loud Competition in the RHS Lecture Hall. Thank you to our judges, Ms. Walsh (who is the accuracy scorer), and Ms. Cahill (who coordinates the event). Congratulations to Jillian Mitchell, Maria Pala, Kathleen Nee, John Ellard, Megan Diver, and Paige Boggs for doing an outstanding job. John Ellard earned first place. Here is a nice press release highlighting the event.
- The RHS Key Club was busy this week helping to make blankets for Annie’s Kindness Blankets. Here is a picture of our student volunteers making the blankets.
- Last Saturday, RHS and RMS Band students enjoyed participating in the Berklee HS Jazz Festival. Here is a group picture.
- Here is a winter sports update. The swim, hockey, and wrestling teams honored their seniors this week and the varsity basketball teams each picked up key wins over Abington HS!
Here are a few reminders as we look ahead to next week:
- The RHS Guidance Department has begun the 2019-2020 course selection process. Please review the timeline, program of studies, and course selection overview sheets located here.
- Students with excessive absences received credit loss letters this week in the mail. Students with 7 or more unexcused absences in a semester class or 14 or more unexcused absences in a full year class lose academic credit. There is a huge correlation between students who are present daily in school and their academic success in the classroom. Administration met with each student who has lost credit to create a personalized credit recovery plan.
- The next Site Council Meeting will be held next Thursday, February 7th in the RHS Guidance Conference Room at 7:15AM. Here is the agenda.
- Here is a look at the week ahead.
Go Bulldogs and Patriots this weekend!
John Harrison, Ed.D.
Rockland High School Principal