ROCKLAND HIGH SCHOOL
RHS COMMUNITY WEEKLY UPDATE #22
JANUARY 25, 2019
Here are a few highlights from this past week:
- Over the past two months, students at Rockland High School have been completing their end of semester 1 work. A lot of hard work went into preparing for midterm exams and we are very proud of all of our students. Here are some (though there are many more!) of some of our academic/classroom highlights from the last two months.
- Ms. McDonough’s Fantasy & Science Fiction students wrote and published a fifty page book of short stories that take place in an alternate universe. Five of these students learned that they won a writing contest in which they had to write a short work of horror. Young Writers is the organization who ran the contest and they will be publishing the stories in March. Over 13,500 students entered so it really is quite an accomplishment!
- Congratulations to Eric Ellsworth for being this week’s Top Dog! Here is Eric’s biography!
- Here is a winter sports update.
Here are a few reminders as we look ahead to next week:
- As you may know, the MCAS assessment is a graduation requirement for students in Grade 10. This year, the assessment is changing from a paper-based to computer-based test. RHS Staff have been participating in trainings to prepare RHS for the transition. The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) has published great resources here to prepare students and parents with the most important information regarding these high-stakes tests. We will be having a student training in March to prepare our students.
- The RHS Athletic Boosters is in need of parent volunteers to help work at the concession stands during basketball games. The RHS Boosters provide banquets, sweatshirts and championship awards for our teams. Please contact Mr. Graziano if you can help out.
- Term 2, midterm, and final grades for semester courses will be available on X2 Aspen at the end of the school day on Friday, January 25th. Please click here to learn more on how to navigate through the X2 Aspen Portal to check your grades.
- Don’t forget that Poetry Out Loud is Monday, January 28th beginning at 7PM in the RHS Lecture Hall. All students and parents are encouraged to attend and support our talented students competing.
- Here is a look at the week ahead.
Have a great weekend!
John Harrison, Ed.D.
Rockland High School Principal