ROCKLAND HIGH SCHOOL
RHS COMMUNITY WEEKLY UPDATE #9
OCTOBER 12, 2018
Here are a few highlights from this past week:
- From October 1st through October 4th, RHS hosted Distractology for our students who had permits or licenses. Thanks to the Arbella Insurance Foundation and the Amos A. Phelps/J.H. Slattery Insurance Agency of Rockland, about 70 RHS students with licenses or learning permits took part last week in a driver safety program called Distractology. Here is a press release highlighting the event with some great pictures!
- On Wednesday, October 10th, RHS students in Grades 10 and 11 participated in the PSAT test at Rockland High School during the school day. RHS has experienced an increased number of students participating in the SAT test as well as an improved performance in recent years. RHS is fortunate this test can be administered to sophomore and junior students free of charge.
- On Friday, October 11th, RHS held a pep rally as part of our annual homecoming festivities. Thank you to our Student Government Council for planning the pep rally. Students enjoyed the week participating in decades day, meme day, and class day. Students are excited about the Homecoming Football game tonight where Ms. Rockland will be crowned. Mr. Rockland will be crowned next Wednesday evening, October 17th, in the auditorium at 7PM.
- Our Guidance Department has been very busy with the start of school, meeting with students and presenting to grade-levels in classrooms. Here is a summary with the talking points of the classroom visits to grade 9, 10, and 11 students.
- On Thursday, October 10, 2018, Rockland HS and Abington HS competed in their annual Unified Soccer Championship. The students had a wonderful time and played hard, demonstrating teamwork and great sportsmanship. Here is a recap with some great pictures.
- Here is a summary of some of the athletic highlights from this past week.
- Congratulations to Junior Jacob Leahy who was elected this week as the SEMASC President for the 2018-2019 school year. SEMASC stands for Southeastern Massachusetts School Council. This is a great accomplishment as Jacob will represent the student leaders across Southeastern Massachusetts as their president.
Here are a few reminders as we look ahead to next week:
- The RHS Homecoming Dance will be held this Saturday, October 13th, at 7PM in the RHS Gym. No tickets will be sold at the door.
- We ask that all parents complete this survey for the school’s NEASC Accreditation by October 12th. Students will complete a similar survey during the month of October in their History/Social Science classes.
- Help our Harvard Model Congress by going to Chipotle on Tuesday, October 23rd for a Fundraiser. Here is more information.
- Help support our Girls Soccer Team by going to Players Restaurant in Rockland on Saturday, October 13th to participate in a Meat Raffle. Here is additional information.
- Picture retake day will be November 1st. For more information, please contact Ms. Kemp in the main office.
- Parent Teacher Conferences will be held Wednesday, November 14th. Here is more information, and please save the date! With term 1 ending November 1st, this is the perfect time to discuss your child’s progress.
- RHS Financial Aid Information Night is next Tuesday, October 16th at 6pm in the RHS Lecture Hall. Here is more information. FAFSA night is Thursday, October 25th at 6:30PM in the Library Media Center. More information can be found here.
- The next Site Council Meeting is Thursday, October 18th. Here is the agenda.
- On Friday, October 19th, we will have “Ask a Teacher/Tell Students About College Day.” Students are encouraged to engage in conversations with staff about where they went to college, what their major was, and how their overall experience was.
- Here is a look at the week ahead.
John Harrison, Ed.D.
Rockland High School Principal