ROCKLAND HIGH SCHOOL
RHS COMMUNITY WEEKLY UPDATE #3
AUGUST 30, 2018
Rockland High School celebrated a great opening of school this week. Despite high temperatures and humidity in the classroom, our students were excited to be back and brought forth a positive energy. Our staff was excited to greet our students and begin the start of the 2018-2019 school year!
Here are a few highlights from this past week:
- On Wednesday, August 22nd, we held Freshmen and New Student Orientation in the Rockland High School Auditorium. Students had the opportunity to tour the building, speak with students, and learn about the first year survival guide. Here is a copy of the “first year survival guide” presentation. Thank you to our awesome Student Government Council for leading us through the event, especially Caitlin Cameron, Greta Russo, John Ellard III, Jasmin Morse, Tyler Beatrice, and Katie Buckley who were speakers.
- On the first day of school, the administrative team outlined expectations for all students during grade-level assemblies. A copy of the powerpoint presentation can be viewed here. The presentation included an overview of the new attendance policy and a reminder of safety protocols.
- Several clubs and organizations met this week. Student Government Council, the Book Club and the Veritas held their first meetings this week and the Yearbook Club and the Harvard Model Congress will meet next week. All students are encouraged to get involved in RHS extracurricular life. To learn more about clubs and activities offered at RHS, please visit this Activity page on our school website (scroll to the bottom to see each club or sports page).
- Our fall athletic teams are off to a great start. Here is an update on fall athletics.
- On August 27, 2018, Rockland High School was named a 2017-2018 Unified Champion School by the Special Olympics. RHS was recognized for its commitment to fostering a socially inclusive school climate that emphasizes acceptance, respect, and human dignity for all students. Last year, RHS participated in unified sports and also hosted the unified bocce tournament for the state of Massachusetts in January for the second school year in a row. Here is a copy of our certificate! Thank you to all of our students for embracing an inclusive learning environment.
Here are a few reminders as we look ahead to next week:
- Student picture day will be held on Thursday, September 13th. Students will be called down from their English class. We will have more information in the main office next week.
- Back to School Night for Parents/Guardians to meet their student’s teachers will be held on Wednesday, September 19th beginning at 6:30PM. Here is the schedule and plan for the evening.
- If you are interested in learning about opportunities for discounted internet service at home, please click here.
- For information on submitting senior photos for the yearbook, please click here. The due date is December 1st.
- The After School Support Program begins September 10th. To see the schedule, please click here. The first Saturday School session will be held on September 22nd from 9am-12pm. Please click here to see the entire schedule.
- First Day of School Paperwork (emergency cards, parent contact/dismissal cards, student handbook contracts) is due Tuesday, September 4th.
- Here is a look at the week ahead.
- The Guidance Department has been busy planning several events for the start of the school year. Here is a copy of a senior mailing packet that went out recently. Below is a list of important dates for upcoming events sponsored by the Guidance Department.
Friday, September 7th – Senior Assembly on the college planning process – 9:10 in the auditorium
First Week of October- Distractology Distracted Driving Program – (Grade 10& 11)
Tuesday, October 16th – Financial Aid Night (Juniors and Seniors and parents invited) – 6:00 p.m. in the Lecture Hall
Thursday, October 25th – FAFSA Help Night (senior parents/guardians by appointment) – 6:30 – 8:30 in the Library
November 7th – Credit for Life Fair (Grade 10)
I wish everyone a great long weekend!!
John Harrison, Ed.D.
Rockland High School Principal